Eli's Booksy Blog

Thursday 18 June 2020

Book Review: The Handmaiden's Fate by Jennie Dah


 

It's finally Thursday and I'm really excited to be writing this review because this book is just so mmmm.....

    And I'm only in the middle. It's been a while since I read a book this heartwarming and it's raining a lot these days so I don't go outside anymore and with this quarantine that's happening, I can read without any interruption. 
 
    My couch has now become my favourite spot to read because who doesn't love curling up with a good book? I hope you enjoy this! And I'll write another review when I'm done. 


Synopsis:


Fated to be together long before either one was born. She’s always been destined to be great but there are others who’d make sure she never reaches her full potential.
She saw him when she was still just a child and she vowed she’d marry him but she never imagined she’d lose everything dear to her when it finally happens. 

A series of events unfold leading to the greatest betrayal ever when the one person she trusted the most wasn’t there for her as her patience and love is continually tested by those who’d do anything to make the unthinkable happen.

“They succeeded once before but I’m back and I’m taking back what belongs to me.”

Join these two sweet lovers on their journey of love, patience and betrayal as they unveil a world of true beauty and adventure you can’t resist.



Excerpt: 

 “Here,” a voice says from across the room and my head whips up and I almost scream but I stop instinctively when I look at his hands. Images from last night assail my mind and I push off the floor with a growl. How did he even get in here?

“The door was unlocked,” he shrugs holding out a cup to me. 

“What is in it and why are you giving it to me?” I ask suspiciously making no move to take the cup from him. “Wait, what did you do to me last night?”

“Last night? We met this morning,” he says smoothly with a grin and my stomach warms, fluttering rapidly. I look away from him too confused by my reaction to him. 

“You know what I meant,” I mutter and move away from the door over to lie down on the bed. “And what are you doing here again?”

“Actually I came to check on you.” He walks over and gently touches my forehead. “The fever is gone now so that’s a blessing,” he hums looking relieved.

What is he talking about? And why does his hand feel so good on my skin? I nuzzle into his warm hand and catch myself when I realise what I’m doing and pull away from him. 

“What?” I ask when he continues to stare at me with a small frown wrinkling the skin between his brows. He blinks and then drops his gaze to the cup in his hand with a small head shake.

“This morning you just went out cold on me,” he grunts and holds the cup to my lips and it’s like I lose control of my body. My lips part and the sweet smell of whatever’s in the cup tickle my nose. I slowly drink the content of the cup until everything is gone, all the while holding his eyes. 

What is it about this boy who’s barely a man that makes me lose my mind? With how crazy my insides are going, one would think I’ve known him longer than a few minutes. The familiarity in the way his gaze trails over my face should unnerve me but rather it makes my blood thrum with excitement and anticipation. 

“You should get some rest,” he says softly finally breaking the silence that descends over us. “I should be getting back.”

“Wait,” I call out right before he can step out. “Who are you?”

“I’ll see you tonight Princess,” he says with a soft smile before he disappears. My heart plummets as I stare wide eyed at the spot he was just in. 

How did he know? There’s no way Ruthia could’ve told him so how does he know? I’ve been careful since we got here and I haven’t slipped up on my ruse once. 
What if he tells the King? I could end up shaming our House if the King should come to know there’s a princess posing as a maid in the palace. 

That is if I don’t get accused and killed first for being a spy. I just have to wait tonight and ask him what he wants. 

Maybe this Prince Rajanat thing wasn’t worth it after all. And now Father is on his way and I just know I’m in a world of trouble. My eyes grow heavy, my head feeling foggy. 

What did he give me? That doesn’t matter at this point since it seems to be working and all I want to do now is sleep. 

I wake up later to the sun already over the horizon and I don’t even startle when my eyes land on the figure sleeping in the lone uncomfortable chair at the foot of the bed. His eyes fly open without even all the hustle of waking up from sleep and I grumble in annoyance. 

“What are you doing here now?” I groan and sit up. He hurries over to me and gently pushes at my shoulders for me to lie back. He brushes the hair away from my face, his touch strangely soft. My breath stills in my lungs before it starts again but comes faster.  

“Your fever is completely gone now and you look better,” he says distractedly taking my hand in his slightly bigger ones and press his fingers down on my inner wrist. 

“What are you doing?” I ask keeping perfectly still. 

“Your heartbeat is back to normal too,” he sighs and finally looks at me. “You had me worried there for a second.”

“What are you talking about?” I ask just as he puts a cup to my lips and lifts me off the bed by my shoulders. 

“I’m not drinking that.”

I turn my head away even though my throat feels parched. The last time he gave me something to drink I was out cold before I can say… oh. 

He knows who I am. 
“It’s just water,” he smiles taking a sip of the drink himself. I sigh and take a drink and before I can stop myself, I gulp down the rest until the cup is empty.

“Thank you,” I smile gratefully. 

“That’s alright, it was my pleasure.”
We stare at each other for a while before the silence gets too heavy for me.

“What do you want?” I blurt and he blinks owlishly at me. “Don’t give me that innocent face. You must be doing this for some reason. If you know I’m a princess then you want something.”

“Huh?”

“Just don’t tell anyone yet please. Father must already be here, he’ll know what to do,” I groan out and move until my back connects with the headboard. 

“You are a princess?” he whispers disbelievingly his face stunned.

“Uhh… um… I thought you knew?” I ask carefully panic spiking through me. Then why did he call me ‘Princess' earlier?

“No. What are you doing here in the servants’ quarters?” he paces the floor around the door, his movements jerky showing his agitation. 

“I thought you were a dally…” he stops moving and his gaze locks on mine his eyes narrowing in suspicion. “You’re a princess. You must be of high blood so why did you have a fever? And one that severe?”

No. No. No. “Um…” I utter completely at a loss for words. 
I don’t even know he moved until he grabs my left hand and turn it over. He looks at my face a frown marring his features. 

“Your markings are unlike any I’ve ever seen before,” he quips letting me go. “Do you even remember what happened?”

“What happened?” I parrot completely confused.

“You mean you don’t really remember?” He stares at me in shock and then bites down on his balled hand with a pained groan.

“Remember what?” I snap in frustration a wave of exhaustion hitting me. I pinch the bridge of my nose with a sigh and my eyes fly open when I feel the bed dip. Suddenly, he’s right there in my face and I stop breathing. 

His eyes scrutinise my face intently and I press my back tightly to the headboard letting out slow measured breaths. He leans in closer and our breaths mingle. My eyes drop to his soft moist looking lips and my breath catches. 

No, this is wrong. If I’m in love with someone else I shouldn’t be thinking about kissing another man. 

But his lips look so inviting and I really feel like I’ll combust if I don’t taste him. Why do I suddenly feel like this if I’ve never even thought of kissing anyone before? 

I close the gap between our faces and touch my lips to his. He makes a sound of surprise before cupping my face gently between his warm hands. 

His hands are rougher than I’d have expected a nobleman’s son's would be but they feel wonderful on my skin. He tilts my head and I give into him with a sigh. 

The fusion of our lips doesn’t feel like just a mere kiss but rather the merging of our souls. My body comes alive and I gasp as my insides light up like the sky on the night of the twin moons. 

The door bangs open hitting the wall with a resounding thud and in the open doorway stands the thunderous looking head of the Warlock Clan and general of the king’s army. 

Oh no. 



 




7 comments:

๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ†Happy New Year✨๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‡

๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‡Great New Beginnings And Wonderful Days Ahead๐ŸŽ†๐ŸŽŠ   Wishing you a very happy new year my lovelies and a wonderful year ahead.  I know it...